Some Super White has minor amounts of quartz mixed in with the marble. Topaz #9- can scratch topaz. Cutting, chopping, or slicing food directly on the surface will eventually leave its mark there, so remember to use a cutting board at all times. Author has 4.1K answers and 1.3M answer views. This test will not harm the crystal if it is real quartz because glass has a hardness of 5.5 to 6.5. diamond. It will not scratch from regular knives or objects with sharp edges. So, pick your glass, find the hardness on the Mohs scale, and anything harder will scratch that glass! Feldspar #7- can scratch feldspar but not topaz. Quartz will scratch glass, but I am not sure on the hardness of a steel penknife blade. ... they make their quartz alternatives from recycled glass, cement, and a dash of pigment. In conclusion, quartz is highly resistant to scratching, but it is not completely scratch-proof. Granite Gold Quartz Brite® is the only product you … Quartz #8- can scratch quartz but not corundum. The downfall is that these resins are the reason the quartz can be damaged by the harsh chemicals, cleaners, and heat. If the object easily scratches the glass, the specimen probably is quartz crystal. 9: Corundum Natural quartz makes up about 90% of the final product, while the other materials make up 10%. The resins and polymers bind the quartz together, making it hard and durable while pigments are added to give the countertop color. It’s easy to clean and maintain a quartz countertop. The cobwebs in my mind say it is a hardness of about 7. However, with proper use quartz can be a great option for kitchens, where the most scratching happens. Quartz has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, meaning that it will easily scratch glass, metals and softer stones. Therefore, a piece of quartz crystal will scratch a piece of glass. Everyday hazards such as this make gemstone hardness an important consideration when designing and wearing jewelry. The former may react with the quartz pigments, while the latter may scratch the surface resins, thus making your countertops more likely to stain when they come in contact with tomato sauce or fruit juices. Emerald and aquamarine are varieties of beryl with a hardness of 8. But the rock is still marble and will act like marble. Corundum #10- extremely hard, it can scratch all known common minerals. There is no one glass, but only one quartz! When doing the glass test with Super White, be sure to test a few different areas to get a … #6- can't be scratched by a knife, but can scratch window glass. How can you tell quartz from glass? Test the unknown stone under inspection by trying to scratch a common piece of glass such as a glass bottle. ... scratches, and dents without a sealant that most natural and porous slabs require. (Will not scratch glass but will scratch steel blades, copper coins & fingernails.) Quartz crystals rank as 7 on the Mohs scale. Martin Novak/iStock/Getty Images. Clean the surface of the glass, with a streak-free glass cleaner. Any mineral with roughly a hardness of 6 or more on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness could scratch glass, which is roughly 5.5 on the Mohs scale. While quartz countertops have a reputation for being resistant to scratches, they are not designed to be scratch-proof. 8: Topaz: The November birthstone. That means it won’t scratch glass and it will etch with acids. Now, some glasses are much much harder than others! 7: Quartz (Will scratch glass, steel blades, copper coins & fingernails.) In some cases, recycled glass or metal flecks are added to spice up the design. Dust can even cut glass. That means the quartz in dust makes those particles hard enough to actually remove the finish from your car and the polish from your table. If you penknife scratches it, then it is quartz. (Will scratch glass, steel blades, copper coins & fingernails.)